GDG DevFest is a large-scale community-run technology event that offers keynote and technical sessions across technology product areas, among others. DevFest Uyo 2015 was uniquely tailored to the needs of our local community to build capacity and encourage collaboration.
We are glad we were part of this event that empowered over 300 people with skills they need to take up challenges and proffer solutions leveraging technology platforms. The event which held on 20th November, 2015 in the conference hall of Ibom e-Library witnessed massive attendance by Students, technology entrepreneurs, software developers and government officials.
The event was organized by Google Developer Groups and was supported by Google, Akwa Ibom State Ministry of Science & Technology, Akwa Ibom State Ministry of Education, Start Innovation Hub, Connelly Cornelia College, Ashton Wells, Zest Solutions, Skills Plus, Elite Phenomene and Nigeria Union of Journalists. Others were Studio8Five, Hype Station Blog and a host of other local startups.
Some of the key participants at the event were:
- Commissioner for Science & Technology Hon. Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Obot
- Special Assistant to the Governor on New Media, Mrs. Meflyn Anwana
- Tech Enthusiast, Mfon Etukeren, Houston, Texas, USA
- Founder of TwoTV Network and Liquid Studios, Roberta Edu
- Members and Staff of AKICORP
- Keynote Speaker, Mr. Marshall Anako – Arizona, USA
- Panelist from Sweden, Kittie M. Levin
- Speaker from Konga, Celestine Omin
- Panelist from AfrYPoD, Abuja, Laz Ude Eze
- General Manager, AfroCab, Lagos, Aniedi Udobong, Guest Speaker
- Web Master Sterling Bank HQ, Lagos, Mr. Otobong Okoko
- Computer Engineering Lecturer, Kunle Olutomilayo
- Students and staff of RITMAN College, Ikot Ekpene
- Students and staff of Top Faith International School, Mkpatak Essien Udim
- Students and staff of Cornelia Connelly College, Afaha Oku, Uyo.
- Speaker from Apps Haven, Lagos, Chinedu Chukwuelue
- Speaker from Yesiga ICT Hub, Port Harcourt
- Speaker from ShareCube and Acushla Konceptz
The event was scheduled to host 200 participants but 328 participants attended. The event featured Keynote by Marshall Anako, a United States of America based entrepreneur, technical and code-lab sessions by industry experts in Android, Web, Social Media and Cloud technologies.
Meflyn Anwana, SA to the Governor on New Media commended the organizers of the event and was thrilled by the audience she saw in a knowledge based event in Akwa Ibom unlike before. In her words “I’m thrilled by this audience by Akwa Ibom people in an event who is not a show”.
Commissioner for Science & Technology Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Obot after the official inauguration of Women Techmakers, Akwa Ibom State Chapter promised to support them to move the state to another level using ICT.
Celestine Omin, a software engineer from Konga talked on Git and GitHub, Roberta Edu, founder of TwoTV Network and Liquid Studios spoke on Digital and Social Media Marketing while Aniedi Udobong of AfroCab spoke on Designing web and mobile apps using ionic, AngularJS and firebase.
The event also featured breakout sessions where participants took part in code-lab sessions to help them get started programming and software development.
Some of the breakout session topics were;
- Android 101 by Emem Brownson – Founder of AfroPot
- User Experience (UX) by Gino Osahon of Yesiga ICT Hub, Port Harcourt and Otobong Okoko, Web developer at Sterling Bank HQ, Lagos
- Web for Beginners and Advanced Web development using Polymer and Firebase by Chinedu Chukwuelue of Apps Haven, Lagos
- And Digital Marketing
Mobile Apps Presented
- AkTrivia – Developed by a 9-year-old David Ekanem is a quiz game that gets you familiar with the major landmarks of Akwa Ibom State. The player gets points for correct answers and loses point for wrong answers.
- AfroPot – Developed by a young Akwa Ibom girl is a food ordering app for local dishes that makes having lunch fun.
- Inyene – A property listing application covering Akwa Ibom and Cross River States.
- Housegirl – A lifestyle application designed to help busy folks concentrate on what matters while the app takes care of their errand, laundry and shopping tasks.
- TopDown – It give users access to phone call units on demand with a feature to also sell off their units to the app and get cash
- Plus Life – An interactive platform that allow users to chat without internet.
The outcome of the event was disruptive and had direct impact on our technology ecosystem. It has changed the way we see things and are getting everyone on foot to create solutions and make life better.